2026-10-01 | π Why Did God Save Me? The Mystery of Grace | 1 Chronicles 17 Devotional (7-Step QT)
7-Step QT Notes
1. π Quiet Time
Pause.
Take a deep breath.
Ask God to help you see that salvation does not rest on your goodness or achievements, but on his sovereign grace and steadfast love in Christ.
2. π October 1, 2026
Today’s passage reminds us:
Before we could accomplish anything for God, God graciously acted for us. Salvation rests not on our merit, but on his sovereign love and grace.
3. ✝️ 1 Chronicles 17:1-15
David wanted to build a house for God, but God said he was not the one to build it. God had journeyed with Israel, raised David from shepherd to ruler, and defeated his enemies. Instead, God promised to build David a house: an enduring dynasty. David’s son would build God’s house, and God would establish his throne forever, love him as a son, and never take away his steadfast love.
4. π Key Verse
”But I will confirm him in my house and in my kingdom forever, and his throne shall be established forever” (v. 14).
5. π Reflection
Sometimes I find myself wondering, “Why was I saved?” I know the right answer: because God loves me and has shown me grace. Yet when I try to understand why that grace came specifically to me, I find myself standing before a mystery I cannot explain. Accustomed to believing that nothing in life is free, we often struggle to receive grace for which we have paid nothing. Some people seem so good that they could live without ever breaking the law, yet they do not believe in God. How, then, did someone like me, who once lived in sin, come to believe in Jesus?
In today’s passage, David desires to build a magnificent and beautiful house for God, a temple to replace the tent. But God does not permit David to build the temple. Instead, He promises to build an everlasting house for David, namely, a royal dynasty. God then reminds David of the history of grace by which He has led him. It was God who took David from tending sheep in the pasture and appointed him to rule over His people. It was God who remained with David wherever he went and defeated his enemies before him. Now God promises to make David’s name great and to establish his throne and kingdom forever through his descendants.
As we meditate on this passage, we may wonder why God lavished such grace upon David. David certainly loved God’s Word and obeyed His will. Scripture also calls him a man after God’s own heart. Yet 1 Chronicles 17 does not present David’s godliness or achievements as the basis of God’s covenant. Instead, the passage repeatedly emphasizes God’s sovereign initiative: “I took you. I have been with you. I will establish your throne.” What, then, does Scripture call this favor from God that cannot be explained by human merit?
Beloved, grace reaches far beyond anything we can fully comprehend. It is God’s gift, which cannot be calculated according to the world’s familiar system of giving and receiving. This grace is freely given in the sense that we did not pay for it, but it is never cheap. Jesus Christ paid the price on the cross for our salvation. Therefore, Paul teaches that salvation does not come from our works but is given by God’s grace, and that we receive this grace through faith.
Today, may you realize that the ultimate reason for your salvation cannot be found within yourself. It is found in God alone, who loved you, called you, and was pleased to save you in Christ. When you come to understand this wonderful truth, today will become brighter and more joyful than any other day.
6. π¬ What does this passage speak to you today?
- Where do I feel pressured to prove my worth or earn the approval of God and others?
- Am I trying to accomplish something impressive for God while overlooking what he has already done for me?
- What evidence of God’s grace can I see as I look back on my life?
- How does knowing that salvation rests on God’s grace change the way I view my work, relationships, and future?
- What is one practical way I can live from grace rather than striving for acceptance today?
7. π Prayer
Our heavenly Father, thank You for loving me and saving me by Your grace.
Forgive me for trying to earn Your love through my goodness, achievements, or religious efforts.
Help me remember that before I could do anything for You, You acted graciously for me in Jesus Christ.
Teach me to obey You, not to earn Your acceptance, but because You have already welcomed me in Christ.
May Your grace shape the way I work, make decisions, treat others, and face my future today.
Amen.
Scriptures
π (1 Chronicles 17:1-15, ESV).
1 Now when David lived in his house, David said to Nathan the prophet, “Behold, I dwell in a house of cedar, but the ark of the covenant of the LORD is under a tent.” 2 And Nathan said to David, “Do all that is in your heart, for God is with you.”
3 But that same night the word of the LORD came to Nathan, 4 “Go and tell my servant David, ‘Thus says the LORD: It is not you who will build me a house to dwell in. 5 For I have not lived in a house since the day I brought up Israel to this day, but I have gone from tent to tent and from dwelling to dwelling. 6 In all places where I have moved with all Israel, did I speak a word with any of the judges of Israel, whom I commanded to shepherd my people, saying, “Why have you not built me a house of cedar?” ’ 7 Now, therefore, thus shall you say to my servant David, ‘Thus says the LORD of hosts, I took you from the pasture, from following the sheep, to be prince over my people Israel, 8 and I have been with you wherever you have gone and have cut off all your enemies from before you. And I will make for you a name, like the name of the great ones of the earth. 9 And I will appoint a place for my people Israel and will plant them, that they may dwell in their own place and be disturbed no more. And violent men shall waste them no more, as formerly, 10 from the time that I appointed judges over my people Israel. And I will subdue all your enemies. Moreover, I declare to you that the LORD will build you a house. 11 When your days are fulfilled to walk with your fathers, I will raise up your offspring after you, one of your own sons, and I will establish his kingdom. 12 He shall build a house for me, and I will establish his throne forever. 13 I will be to him a father, and he shall be to me a son. I will not take my steadfast love from him, as I took it from him who was before you, 14 but I will confirm him in my house and in my kingdom forever, and his throne shall be established forever.’ ” 15 In accordance with all these words, and in accordance with all this vision, Nathan spoke to David.

Comments
Post a Comment