πŸ™ How Should Christians Respond to Criticism? | Ezekiel 25 Devotional (7-Step QT)

7-Step QT Notes

1. πŸ™ Quiet Time

Pause.

Take a deep breath.

Ask God to show you whether your words, actions, and responses to criticism honor his name and reveal his glory.

2. πŸ“… July 16, 2026

Today’s passage reminds us:

Before pointing fingers at others, we must examine whether our own lives honor God’s name and reveal his glory.

3. ✝️ Ezekiel 25:1-11

The LORD tells Ezekiel to prophesy against Ammon. Because the Ammonites rejoiced maliciously when God's sanctuary was profaned, Israel was desolated, and Judah went into exile, God will give them to the people of the East and destroy them. Moab and Seir also treated Judah as no different from other nations, so God will expose Moab's cities and judge it. Then they will know that he is the LORD.

4. πŸ“– Key Verse

Then you will know that I am the LORD … Then they will know that I am the LORD (vv. 5b, 11b).

5. πŸ“ Reflection

Recently, our church has been facing a series of difficult circumstances. Among them, what has been most painful for me as a pastor is the harsh criticism directed at the church. Late one night last week, a local resident who is not a member of our congregation came without notice and accused our church of being a potentially criminal organization concerned only with money. The person hurled all kinds of insults, portraying the church and its pastor as repulsive and corrupt. Shouting and making threats, the person also declared an intention to expose our supposed true nature to the local community. I do not think I will ever forget that encounter.

Why do such things happen to God’s church? Why must God’s church and its ministers endure this kind of ridicule? As I prayed with sorrow and lament, I was led first to examine myself. I considered whether any of my words or actions had dishonored God’s name or obscured his glory. I asked God to show us whether our church truly reflects what his church should be and whether the community sees us differently from how we see ourselves. I also repented as I considered whether our church had neglected its responsibility to serve the surrounding community.

At the same time, today’s passage led me to consider again why Ammon and Moab were judged. They rejoiced when God’s sanctuary was profaned (v. 3), and they maliciously despised God’s people (vv. 6, 8). God regarded the contempt they showed toward his sanctuary and his people as an insult directed against God himself. From this perspective, the prophecies of judgment recorded in Ezekiel are not merely messages against Judah’s enemies but warnings against those who dishonor God’s name and glory.

Dear brothers and sisters, do we regard the ridicule and criticism we receive merely as attacks from our enemies? If their ridicule and criticism go beyond us and dishonor the name and glory of the God in whom we believe, how should we respond? Can we say that Judah was entirely innocent simply because Ammon and Moab were guilty?

Today’s passage may be read merely as an account of God judging Ammon and Moab for mocking and mistreating Judah. However, if we recognize that both judgment and restoration throughout Ezekiel ultimately serve God’s name and glory, we must examine ourselves and repent before pointing fingers at others.

Today, I must ask whether I truly know the LORD and whether I am living according to what I know of him. We must also examine whether our church’s words and actions honor God’s name and reveal his glory. Only then can we truly know who God is and live for God’s name and glory. I sincerely pray that you will live in this way today.

6. πŸ’¬ What does this passage speak to you today?

  • How do I usually respond when someone criticizes my faith, my church, or my character?
  • Is there a word, habit, relationship, or online behavior through which I may be dishonoring God’s name?
  • Am I more concerned with defending my reputation or honoring God’s reputation?
  • What is one practical way I or my church can listen to and serve our community this week?
  • How can my response to criticism help someone see God’s character more clearly?

7. πŸ™ Prayer

Our heavenly Father, You alone are the LORD.

When I am criticized or misunderstood, keep me from responding with pride, anger, or revenge.

Give me wisdom to recognize what is false, humility to receive what is true, and courage to repent where I have failed.

Help our church listen humbly, serve our neighbors faithfully, and reveal Your love to our community.

May my daily life honor Your name and help others see who You truly are.

Amen.


Scriptures

πŸ“– (Ezekiel 25:1-11, ESV).

1 The word of the LORD came to me: 2 “Son of man, set your face toward the Ammonites and prophesy against them. 3 Say to the Ammonites, Hear the word of the Lord GOD: Thus says the Lord GOD, Because you said, ‘Aha!’ over my sanctuary when it was profaned, and over the land of Israel when it was made desolate, and over the house of Judah when they went into exile, 4 therefore behold, I am handing you over to the people of the East for a possession, and they shall set their encampments among you and make their dwellings in your midst. They shall eat your fruit, and they shall drink your milk. 5 I will make Rabbah a pasture for camels and Ammon a fold for flocks. Then you will know that I am the LORD. 6 For thus says the Lord GOD: Because you have clapped your hands and stamped your feet and rejoiced with all the malice within your soul against the land of Israel, 7 therefore, behold, I have stretched out my hand against you, and will hand you over as plunder to the nations. And I will cut you off from the peoples and will make you perish out of the countries; I will destroy you. Then you will know that I am the LORD.

8 “Thus says the Lord GOD: Because Moab and Seir said, ‘Behold, the house of Judah is like all the other nations,’ 9 therefore I will lay open the flank of Moab from the cities, from its cities on its frontier, the glory of the country, Beth-jeshimoth, Baal-meon, and Kiriathaim. 10 I will give it along with the Ammonites to the people of the East as a possession, that the Ammonites may be remembered no more among the nations, 11 and I will execute judgments upon Moab. Then they will know that I am the LORD.


Audio Overview


Praise & Worship


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Numbers 23: God Is With Us—The Shout of a King | Quiet Time Devotional

Why Every Detail in the Bible Matters πŸ“œ | Joshua 15 Devotional (7-Step QT)

Numbers 26: A New Generation and God’s Justice | Quiet Time Devotional