2026-09-17 | πŸ€” Do You Think You Know Better Than God? | 1 Chronicles 11 Devotional (7-Step QT)

 

7-Step QT Notes

1. πŸ™ Quiet Time

Pause.

Take a deep breath.

Ask God to reveal any pride that keeps you from listening to his Word, and ask him to help you trust that his way is always wiser than your own.

2. πŸ“… September 17, 2026

Today’s passage reminds us:

True success does not come from proving that we know best. It comes from faithfully following God’s Word and walking in his presence.

3. ✝️ 1 Chronicles 11:1-9

All Israel gathered at Hebron and recognized David as their flesh and blood, their former military leader, and the shepherd and ruler appointed by the LORD. The elders made a covenant with him before the LORD and anointed him king, fulfilling the word through Samuel. David captured Zion from the Jebusites, made it his city, and rebuilt it. He grew greater because the LORD of hosts was with him.

4. πŸ“– Key Verse

And David became greater and greater, for the LORD of hosts was with him (v. 9).

5. πŸ“ Reflection

When I first began my career, one of my greatest struggles was having to do things exactly as my senior colleague instructed. Having graduated with excellent grades from one of the best departments at one of Korea’s most prestigious universities, I was eager to prove myself at work. I wanted to produce impressive results quickly, be recognized for my abilities, and be promoted ahead of my peers. However, my senior colleague told me that I first needed to work according to the instructions he gave me. I often felt that his directions were unreasonable, and I gradually lost interest in my work. Although I had joined a company that many people admired, I felt like the unhappiest person in the world.

Then one day, I ignored my senior colleague’s instructions and did the work my own way, which resulted in a serious mistake. I miscalculated the allowances to be paid to employees working in the field. Consequently, the company had to recover overpayments from a considerable number of employees or pay additional amounts to those who had received too little. Instead of becoming furious with me, however, my senior colleague personally called each field manager. He apologized, saying that the mistake was his own, and quickly resolved the problem I had caused.

A few days later, during a private meeting, he calmly explained why I first needed to learn the work according to his instructions and why doing so was so important. Only then did I realize that his directions were not intended to restrain me. They were meant to protect me from mistakes and risks that I did not yet understand. I could no longer deny the pride within me.

Immediately after Saul’s death, David was anointed king at Hebron by “all Israel,” according to the word of God. After becoming king, David went with “all Israel” to Jerusalem and captured the city. Jerusalem was destined to become the center of David’s dynasty and the site where the temple would be built. From that time on, David became greater and greater because the LORD of hosts was with him.

Dear brothers and sisters, God faithfully fulfills his promises. Therefore, when we obey God’s Word, we participate in the fulfillment of what God has promised. We also experience the true blessing and flourishing that he provides through his presence.

Today’s passage contrasts Saul, who disobeyed the LORD of hosts, with David, who was established as king according to God’s Word and began to carry out his calling. Through this contrast, the Chronicler teaches us about the blessings that flow from a life of faithful obedience to the Lord. The fundamental reason David became increasingly powerful was not that he possessed superior ability or strategy. It was because the LORD of hosts was with him.

Therefore, let us lay down the pride that assumes we know better than God or can accomplish things more effectively than he can. Instead, let us obey the Word of the Lord. Even when we do not immediately understand it, we must believe that God’s Word is not intended to restrain us. It is divine wisdom that leads us along the path of life and blessing. May you acknowledge that God’s way is always better than your own and live faithfully according to his Word today.

6. πŸ’¬ What does this passage speak to you today?

  • In what area of my life am I most tempted to depend on my own abilities rather than trust God?
  • Has my ambition, impatience, or confidence made me resistant to correction?
  • Am I sincerely seeking God’s direction, or am I asking him to approve a decision I have already made?
  • Is there a clear teaching of Scripture that I have been resisting because it feels inconvenient or restrictive?
  • What is one specific step of obedience I can take today?

7. πŸ™ Prayer

Our heavenly Father, thank You for faithfully fulfilling Your promises.

Forgive me for the times I assume that I know better than You.

Reveal any pride, impatience, or ambition that keeps me from listening to Your Word and receiving correction.

Help me trust Your wisdom even when I do not understand Your direction or timing.

May my greatest desire be not to prove myself, but to participate in what You are accomplishing.

Amen.


Scriptures

πŸ“– (1 Chronicles 11:1-9, ESV).

1 Then all Israel gathered together to David at Hebron and said, “Behold, we are your bone and flesh. 2 In times past, even when Saul was king, it was you who led out and brought in Israel. And the LORD your God said to you, ‘You shall be shepherd of my people Israel, and you shall be prince over my people Israel.’ ” 3 So all the elders of Israel came to the king at Hebron, and David made a covenant with them at Hebron before the LORD. And they anointed David king over Israel, according to the word of the LORD by Samuel.

4 And David and all Israel went to Jerusalem, that is, Jebus, where the Jebusites were, the inhabitants of the land. 5 The inhabitants of Jebus said to David, “You will not come in here.” Nevertheless, David took the stronghold of Zion, that is, the city of David. 6 David said, “Whoever strikes the Jebusites first shall be chief and commander.” And Joab the son of Zeruiah went up first, so he became chief. 7 And David lived in the stronghold; therefore it was called the city of David. 8 And he built the city all around from the Millo in complete circuit, and Joab repaired the rest of the city. 9 And David became greater and greater, for the LORD of hosts was with him.


Audio Overview


Praise & Worship


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Every Detail in the Bible Matters πŸ“œ | Joshua 15 Devotional (7-Step QT)

Numbers 23: God Is With Us—The Shout of a King | Quiet Time Devotional

πŸ‘‘ When Life Feels Unstable, Trust This Truth | Psalm 93 Devotional (7-Step QT)