2026-09-05 | πŸ˜” Why Is God Allowing This? | Psalm 119 Devotional (7-Step QT)

 

7-Step QT Notes

1. πŸ™ Quiet Time

Pause.

Take a deep breath.

Ask God to help you see that true happiness is not found in wealth, success, or perfect circumstances, but in knowing him and treasuring his Word.

2. πŸ“… September 5, 2026

Today’s passage reminds us:

God uses even our affliction to bring us back from wandering, teach us his Word, and show us that his truth is more precious than silver and gold.

3. ✝️ Psalm 119:65-72

The psalmist praises the LORD for dealing kindly with him according to His promise and asks for wisdom and knowledge. He confesses that before affliction he went astray, but through suffering he learned to obey God's word. Though slandered by the proud, he remains devoted to God's commands, valuing God's law more than thousands of pieces of gold and silver.

4. πŸ“– Key Verse

The law of your mouth is better to me than thousands of gold and silver pieces (v. 72).

5. πŸ“ Reflection

What truly makes us happy? This is not an easy question to answer. For some, a loving family may be the source of happiness, while for others, happiness may be measured by their possessions. Some may find happiness in power, while others may find it in the peace that comes after a war has ended. Studies have also indicated that a nation’s happiness does not necessarily increase in direct proportion to its economic prosperity. What people consider happiness can therefore vary according to time, place, and personal circumstances.

Yet Scripture teaches that true blessing and satisfaction are found in God’s Word. The psalmists, Joshua, Jeremiah, and many other faithful believers testified to this truth (Psalm 1; Joshua 1:8; Jeremiah 15:16). Jesus said, “If you love me, you will keep my commandments” (John 14:15). Those who love God treasure His Word and joyfully obey it. In His Word, they discover true joy and satisfaction that the gold and silver of this world can never provide.

However, the psalmist in today’s passage takes this confession one step further. He declares that God’s Word, learned through affliction, is more valuable than any earthly wealth. Therefore, affliction is not merely a season that causes us pain and tears. God uses affliction to draw us back to His Word and teach us His truth. The psalmist confesses that before he was afflicted, he went astray, but after experiencing affliction, he began to keep God’s Word. Through suffering, he learned to desire God’s Word more deeply and live according to it.

Dear brothers and sisters, even when pain and affliction discourage us, God remains good. According to His promise, He deals kindly with us and loves us faithfully. Therefore, I will delight in His law. I will hold fast to His Word, which is more precious than thousands of pieces of gold and silver, and I will no longer wander. Today, I give thanks to God, who remains with me in suffering and teaches me the right path through His Word.

6. πŸ’¬ What does this passage speak to you today?

  • What do I currently believe I need in order to be truly happy?
  • Do I treasure God’s Word more than money, success, comfort, or the approval of others?
  • Is there an area of my life in which I have been wandering from God’s Word?
  • What might God be teaching me through my present hardship?
  • What is one specific truth from Scripture that I can obey today?

7. πŸ™ Prayer

Our heavenly Father, thank You for being good and for always doing what is good.

Forgive me for seeking lasting happiness in money, success, relationships, comfort, or the approval of others.

When suffering discourages me, draw me closer to You and teach me through Your Word.

May I treasure Your Word more than thousands of pieces of silver and gold.

Amen.


Scriptures

πŸ“– (Psalm 119:65-72, ESV).

65  You have dealt well with your servant,
O LORD, according to your word.
66  Teach me good judgment and knowledge,
for I believe in your commandments.
67  Before I was afflicted I went astray,
but now I keep your word.
68  You are good and do good;
teach me your statutes.
69  The insolent smear me with lies,
but with my whole heart I keep your precepts;
70  their heart is unfeeling like fat,
but I delight in your law.
71  It is good for me that I was afflicted,
that I might learn your statutes.
72  The law of your mouth is better to me
than thousands of gold and silver pieces.


Audio Overview


Praise & Worship


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Every Detail in the Bible Matters πŸ“œ | Joshua 15 Devotional (7-Step QT)

Numbers 23: God Is With Us—The Shout of a King | Quiet Time Devotional

πŸ‘‘ When Life Feels Unstable, Trust This Truth | Psalm 93 Devotional (7-Step QT)