2026-09-03 | π± Can’t Stop Scrolling? Turn Your Eyes to God’s Word | Psalm 119 Devotional (7-Step QT)
7-Step QT Notes
1. π Quiet Time
Pause.
Take a deep breath.
Ask God to turn your eyes away from what is empty and help you find true life and lasting joy in his Word.
2. π September 3, 2026
Today’s passage reminds us:
God does not merely call us to look away from worthless things. He redirects our eyes toward his Word, where we find true life and lasting joy.
3. ✝️ Psalm 119:33-48
The psalmist asks the LORD to teach him, give him understanding, and lead him in wholehearted obedience. He prays that God will turn his heart and eyes from selfish gain and worthless things, give him life, and fulfill his promise. Trusting God’s steadfast love and salvation, he will answer mockers, walk in freedom, speak before kings without shame, and obey, love, and meditate on God’s word.
4. π Key Verse
Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things; and give me life in your ways (v. 37).
5. π Reflection
Not long ago, I heard in the news that a bill had been introduced in the U.S. Congress to restrict children’s and teenagers’ use of social media. Although it has not yet passed both the Senate and the House to become law, its purpose has received bipartisan support. The bill would prohibit social media companies from allowing children under thirteen to create or maintain accounts. It would also prevent them from applying personalized recommendation algorithms based on the personal data of users under seventeen.
The bill was introduced in response to the rapid increase in social media use among children and teenagers. Many young people have become so dependent on social media that they feel as though they are using it almost constantly. The bill also reflects concerns that excessive social media use is associated with mental health issues such as depression and anxiety and may interfere with students’ concentration, family life, and school life. This phenomenon is not limited to the United States. It is likely a common problem in many countries where internet and smartphone use has become part of everyday life.
Considering this reality, it is not surprising that the psalmist’s prayer, “Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things,” still applies to us today. The world God created is certainly good and beautiful. Sin, however, distorts our hearts and our vision, causing us to become attached to empty things that cannot give us life. The Hebrew word translated as “worthless things” is shav. It refers not only to what is empty and worthless but also to anything that draws us away from God’s way of life.
Today, such worthless things constantly capture our eyes and attention, making it difficult for us to focus on God’s Word. If this verse still does not feel personally relevant, try closing this devotional for a moment and opening social media. You may quickly realize that you can spend a long time consuming stimulating social media content while struggling to give the same attention to a devotional or the Bible. Sadly, this is our reality.
Dear believers, what are your eyes looking at right now? Have you allowed your attention to be captured by empty and worthless things that cannot give you life? Let us first listen to Solomon’s confession after he had enjoyed all the wealth and glory the world could offer: “Vanity of vanities, says the Preacher, vanity of vanities! All is vanity.” (Ecclesiastes 1:2)
Then let us remember the psalmist’s prayer: “Lead me in the path of your commandments, for I delight in it.” (Psalm 119:35) Our determination not to look at worthless things is not enough. God must turn our eyes away from what is empty and lead us into the way of his Word. May we love and follow God’s Word today, finding true life and lasting joy in it.
6. π¬ What does this passage speak to you today?
- What empty or worthless thing has been capturing too much of my attention?
- What do I usually turn to when I feel stressed, lonely, bored, or insecure?
- Am I using social media intentionally, or am I allowing it to shape my desires and consume my attention?
- How can I ask God to replace my desire for constant stimulation with a deeper delight in his Word?
- What is one practical change I can make today to give God’s Word my first and best attention?
7. π Prayer
Our heavenly Father, thank You for giving us Your Word, which brings true life and lasting joy.
Forgive me for allowing empty things to capture my eyes, shape my desires, and draw my heart away from You.
Turn my eyes away from what is worthless, and redirect my attention toward what is true, good, and life-giving.
Give me wisdom and self-control in the way I use social media, and help me create room for Scripture, prayer, silence, and meaningful relationships.
Lead me in the path of Your commandments, and teach me to delight in Your Word.
Amen.
Scriptures
π (Psalm 119:33-48, ESV).
33 Teach me, O LORD, the way of your statutes;
and I will keep it to the end.
34 Give me understanding, that I may keep your law
and observe it with my whole heart.
35 Lead me in the path of your commandments,
for I delight in it.
36 Incline my heart to your testimonies,
and not to selfish gain!
37 Turn my eyes from looking at worthless things;
and give me life in your ways.
38 Confirm to your servant your promise,
that you may be feared.
39 Turn away the reproach that I dread,
for your rules are good.
40 Behold, I long for your precepts;
in your righteousness give me life!
41 Let your steadfast love come to me, O LORD,
your salvation according to your promise;
42 then shall I have an answer for him who taunts me,
for I trust in your word.
43 And take not the word of truth utterly out of my mouth,
for my hope is in your rules.
44 I will keep your law continually,
forever and ever,
45 and I shall walk in a wide place,
for I have sought your precepts.
46 I will also speak of your testimonies before kings
and shall not be put to shame,
47 for I find my delight in your commandments,
which I love.
48 I will lift up my hands toward your commandments, which I love,
and I will meditate on your statutes.

Comments
Post a Comment