2026-08-04 | π Does God See What They Did to You? | Ezekiel 35 Devotional (7-Step QT)
7-Step QT Notes
1. π Quiet Time
Pause.
Take a deep breath.
Ask God to turn your eyes away from the people who oppose you and help you trust your heavenly Father, who sees your pain and judges with perfect wisdom.
2. π August 4, 2026
Today’s passage reminds us:
God sees the wrongs committed against his people, and we can entrust justice and its timing to him.
3. ✝️ Ezekiel 35:1-15
The LORD tells Ezekiel to prophesy against Mount Seir. Because Edom cherished perpetual hostility, shed Israel’s blood in its calamity, coveted its land, rejoiced over its ruin, and boasted against God, the LORD will judge it according to its anger and envy. He will make Mount Seir and all Edom a perpetual desolation, revealing to Israel and Edom that he is the LORD.
4. π Key Verse
Therefore, as I live, declares the Lord GOD, I will deal with you according to the anger and envy that you showed because of your hatred against them. And I will make myself known among them, when I judge you (v. 11).
5. π Reflection
Let us imagine the following situation. After hitting and fighting with a friend at school, you return home, still fuming with anger. While speaking on the phone with your mother, who is away on a business trip, you are scolded for fighting. Yet because this is not the first time you have quarreled with that friend, you soon forget what the fight was even about. After washing up and eating dinner alone, you sit on the sofa and watch television. Suddenly, someone pounds loudly on the door. Startled, you open it and find your friend’s father standing there, hurling frightening curses at you. You would feel afraid, but you would also wonder why the father, who had said nothing until now, had suddenly come and become so furious.
Edom and Israel were brother nations. Edom descended from Esau, while Israel descended from Esau’s twin brother, Jacob. Esau and Jacob were the two sons of Isaac, the son of Abraham. Yet they struggled against each other even in the womb, and God’s covenant continued through Jacob rather than Esau.
The ancient hostility between the two nations continued when Israel journeyed through the wilderness toward Canaan, the Promised Land. Moses asked the king of Edom to permit Israel, his brother nation, to pass through Edomite territory (Numbers 20:14). Edom, however, not only refused Israel passage but also came out with an army to block its journey. Nevertheless, God did not allow Israel to fight against Edom because he had given Mount Seir to Esau as his inheritance (Deuteronomy 2:5).
In today’s passage, however, the situation is different. God judges Edom for the hostility it had harbored for generations and for its evil intention to exploit Israel’s crisis. Although God was still present in the land, Edom coveted Israel’s territory and attempted to claim it as its own. God therefore judges Edom’s pride and greed, revealing that his judgment is a righteous recompense corresponding to Edom’s conduct.
Dear believers, God judges Edom because it exploited the suffering of his people, opposed him, and coveted the inheritance he had given them. We cannot fully understand why God acted at that particular time rather than earlier. Yet we can know that the time of his judgment was God’s appointed time.
Therefore, let us not allow our eyes to be captured by the enemies who have troubled and opposed us for a long time. Instead, let us look to our heavenly Father, who knows everything about us and every circumstance we face. Let us thank and praise God for being our Father. As we trust him and keep our eyes fixed upon him, we will come to know more deeply who he truly is.
6. π¬ What does this passage speak to you today?
- Is there a person or conflict that has been consuming my thoughts?
- Have anger and resentment begun to shape the way I see that person?
- Am I secretly pleased when someone who hurt me experiences failure?
- What desire for revenge do I need to surrender to God today?
- How can I turn my attention from my enemy to my heavenly Father?
- What would it look like to trust God’s presence, justice, and timing today?
7. π Prayer
Our heavenly Father, thank You for seeing everything I experience.
When I feel hurt, mistreated, or forgotten, help me remember that You are present and that You have not abandoned me.
Help me trust Your justice and wait for Your appointed time.
Turn my eyes away from those who oppose me, and teach me to look to You, my righteous Judge and loving Father.
May I know more deeply that You are the LORD.
Amen.
Scriptures
π (Ezekiel 35:1-15, ESV).
1 The word of the LORD came to me: 2 “Son of man, set your face against Mount Seir, and prophesy against it, 3 and say to it, Thus says the Lord GOD: Behold, I am against you, Mount Seir, and I will stretch out my hand against you, and I will make you a desolation and a waste. 4 I will lay your cities waste, and you shall become a desolation, and you shall know that I am the LORD. 5 Because you cherished perpetual enmity and gave over the people of Israel to the power of the sword at the time of their calamity, at the time of their final punishment, 6 therefore, as I live, declares the Lord GOD, I will prepare you for blood, and blood shall pursue you; because you did not hate bloodshed, therefore blood shall pursue you. 7 I will make Mount Seir a waste and a desolation, and I will cut off from it all who come and go. 8 And I will fill its mountains with the slain. On your hills and in your valleys and in all your ravines those slain with the sword shall fall. 9 I will make you a perpetual desolation, and your cities shall not be inhabited. Then you will know that I am the LORD.
10 “Because you said, ‘These two nations and these two countries shall be mine, and we will take possession of them’—although the LORD was there— 11 therefore, as I live, declares the Lord GOD, I will deal with you according to the anger and envy that you showed because of your hatred against them. And I will make myself known among them, when I judge you. 12 And you shall know that I am the LORD.
“I have heard all the revilings that you uttered against the mountains of Israel, saying, ‘They are laid desolate; they are given us to devour.’ 13 And you magnified yourselves against me with your mouth, and multiplied your words against me; I heard it. 14 Thus says the Lord GOD: While the whole earth rejoices, I will make you desolate. 15 As you rejoiced over the inheritance of the house of Israel, because it was desolate, so I will deal with you; you shall be desolate, Mount Seir, and all Edom, all of it. Then they will know that I am the LORD.

Comments
Post a Comment