2026-09-01 | π Are You Really Blessed? | Psalm 119 Devotional (7-Step QT)
7-Step QT Notes
1. π Quiet Time
Pause.
Take a deep breath.
Ask God to help you see that true blessing is not something you earn or achieve, but the life you already have when you seek him and walk according to his Word.
2. π September 1, 2026
Today’s passage reminds us:
Blessing is not a reward we earn by obeying God. True blessing is knowing God, seeking him wholeheartedly, and walking with him through his Word.
3. ✝️ Psalm 119:1-16
Blessed are those who wholeheartedly seek the LORD, keep his word, and walk in his ways. The psalmist longs to obey God steadfastly, learn his righteous rules, and praise him uprightly. A person keeps his way pure by guarding it according to God’s word. Therefore, he stores the word in his heart, declares it, delights in it more than riches, meditates on God’s ways, and vows not to forget it.
4. π Key Verse
Blessed are those whose way is blameless, who walk in the law of the LORD! (v. 1)
5. π Reflection
In Korea, there is a tradition of performing sebae for one’s parents and respected elders every January 1. Sebae is a New Year’s custom in which people express deep respect by making a formal bow and saying, “May you receive many blessings in the new year.” This greeting carries a somewhat different meaning from the Western expression “Happy New Year.” Traditionally, Koreans seem to have regarded receiving and enjoying blessings from heaven as something very important.
Today’s Scripture passage begins by declaring that those whose ways are blameless, who walk according to the law of the LORD, who keep his testimonies, and who seek him with their whole heart are blessed (vv. 1-2). When we meditate carefully on this passage, however, we discover that the psalmist does not say that these people “will receive blessings.” Instead, he declares that they “are blessed.” Why does he not speak of receiving blessings, as Koreans do in their traditional New Year’s greeting?
The Bible contains many teachings from God concerning blessing. It certainly speaks of God giving or bestowing blessings upon people. Yet today’s passage does not say, “If you faithfully obey God’s law, you will later receive blessings as a reward.” Rather, it teaches us what kind of person is truly blessed.
The psalmist says that such people “are blessed,” rather than that they “receive blessings,” because biblical blessing is not merely material prosperity or good fortune acquired from somewhere outside of God. True blessing is the relationship and the life in which we seek God with our whole heart and live according to his Word. This echoes Psalm 1:1-2: “Blessed is the person who does not walk in the counsel of the wicked … but delights in the law of the LORD and meditates on his law day and night.”
Beloved brothers and sisters, rather than asking how you can obtain blessings, meditate on God’s Word by considering what kind of person is truly blessed. Blessing is not a reward earned by obeying the Word. It is the very life of walking with God. The greatest blessing God gives us is God himself. Those who walk according to his Word are already living within that blessing. May you believe this truth and enjoy the blessing of walking with God today.
6. π¬ What does this passage speak to you today?
- What do I currently believe must happen before I can call my life “blessed”?
- Am I seeking God himself, or am I mainly asking him to improve my circumstances?
- Is comparison, ambition, fear, or social media shaping my definition of a good life?
- What is one decision, habit, or relationship that needs to be guided by God’s Word today?
- What verse from today’s passage can I store in my heart this week?
7. π Prayer
Our heavenly Father, thank You for being the source and substance of true blessing.
Forgive me for measuring a blessed life by success, money, relationships, comfort, or the approval of others.
Teach me to seek You wholeheartedly, treasure Your Word, and walk faithfully in Your ways.
Help me recognize that when I have You, I already have the greatest blessing.
May Your Word guide my decisions, guard my heart, and shape the way I live today.
Amen.
Scriptures
π (Psalm 119:1-16, ESV).
1 Blessed are those whose way is blameless,
who walk in the law of the LORD!
2 Blessed are those who keep his testimonies,
who seek him with their whole heart,
3 who also do no wrong,
but walk in his ways!
4 You have commanded your precepts
to be kept diligently.
5 Oh that my ways may be steadfast
in keeping your statutes!
6 Then I shall not be put to shame,
having my eyes fixed on all your commandments.
7 I will praise you with an upright heart,
when I learn your righteous rules.
8 I will keep your statutes;
do not utterly forsake me!
9 How can a young man keep his way pure?
By guarding it according to your word.
10 With my whole heart I seek you;
let me not wander from your commandments!
11 I have stored up your word in my heart,
that I might not sin against you.
12 Blessed are you, O LORD;
teach me your statutes!
13 With my lips I declare
all the rules of your mouth.
14 In the way of your testimonies I delight
as much as in all riches.
15 I will meditate on your precepts
and fix my eyes on your ways.
16 I will delight in your statutes;
I will not forget your word.

Comments
Post a Comment