2026-08-14 | πŸ˜” Has God Turned Away from Me? | Ezekiel 39 Devotional (7-Step QT)

 

7-Step QT Notes

1. πŸ™ Quiet Time

Pause.

Take a deep breath.

Ask God to help you trust his presence, receive his correction, and depend on the Holy Spirit for inward renewal.

2. πŸ“… August 14, 2026

Today’s passage reminds us:

God does not abandon his people. He restores them by grace, gives them his Spirit, and renews them from within.

3. ✝️ Ezekiel 39:21-29

God sent Israel into exile and hid his face because of their sin and treachery. Yet, for his holy name, he will show mercy, restore Jacob, and gather his people from the nations. They will live securely in their land, and through them God will display his holiness before the nations. Israel will know that he is the LORD their God. He will pour out his Spirit on them and never again hide his face.

4. πŸ“– Key Verse

And I will not hide my face anymore from them, when I pour out my Spirit upon the house of Israel, declares the Lord GOD (v. 29).

5. πŸ“ Reflection

The expression that God hides his face raises many questions for us. We may begin with the basic question of whether God literally has a face. We may also ask a more theological question: Does God’s hiding his face contradict the promise that he will love us to the end, despite our failures? Why, then, does God hide his face?

When we examine the cause-and-effect relationship in today’s passage, we can clearly see why God hid his face and what resulted from it. Israel was unfaithful to God. They betrayed their covenant with him, so God hid his face from them. Consequently, Israel was handed over to its enemies, fell by the sword, and was taken into exile.

The surrounding nations may have thought that Israel fell because Israel’s God was less powerful than the gods of Babylon. Israel’s defeat, however, was not evidence of God’s weakness. God handed his people over to their enemies in order to judge their covenant unfaithfulness. Scripture describes this withdrawal of divine protection and execution of covenant judgment with God’s declaration, “I hid my face from them.”

In contrast to verses 23–24, however, verse 29 proclaims hope. God promises to pour out his Spirit upon Israel and never again hide his face from them. Merely returning from exile would constitute only an external restoration, leaving open the possibility that Israel’s disobedience might be repeated. Therefore, God promises to place his Spirit among his people and bring about an inward transformation as well. This is the mercy of God, who does not abandon his people, and the zeal of God for his holy name.

Beloved congregation, through faith in Jesus Christ, we have become God’s children, and God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts. Therefore, we call God “Abba, Father” (Galatians 4:6). Because the Holy Spirit dwells within us, we are also God’s temple (1 Corinthians 3:16; 6:19). The promise God gave through Ezekiel has also been fulfilled for us in Jesus Christ.

Therefore, through the Holy Spirit, we are assured that we are God’s children and enjoy his abiding presence with us. May you live today as faithful children of God, trusting in his presence and helping the world come to know him through your lives.

6. πŸ’¬ What does this passage speak to you today?

  • Is there a repeated sin or unhealthy pattern that I have been trying to overcome through willpower alone?
  • Where do I need to receive God’s loving correction instead of avoiding it?
  • What area of my heart do I need to ask the Holy Spirit to renew?
  • How can my words, choices, or response to pressure help someone see God more clearly today?

7. πŸ™ Prayer

Our heavenly Father, thank You for not abandoning Your people.

Forgive me for my unfaithfulness and for trying to change myself without depending on You.

By Your Holy Spirit, renew my heart, transform my habits, and form the character of Christ within me.

May my words, choices, relationships, and daily life help others see who You are.

Amen.


Scriptures

πŸ“– (Ezekiel 39:21-29, ESV).

21 “And I will set my glory among the nations, and all the nations shall see my judgment that I have executed, and my hand that I have laid on them. 22 The house of Israel shall know that I am the LORD their God, from that day forward. 23 And the nations shall know that the house of Israel went into captivity for their iniquity, because they dealt so treacherously with me that I hid my face from them and gave them into the hand of their adversaries, and they all fell by the sword. 24 I dealt with them according to their uncleanness and their transgressions, and hid my face from them.

25 “Therefore thus says the Lord GOD: Now I will restore the fortunes of Jacob and have mercy on the whole house of Israel, and I will be jealous for my holy name. 26 They shall forget their shame and all the treachery they have practiced against me, when they dwell securely in their land with none to make them afraid, 27 when I have brought them back from the peoples and gathered them from their enemies’ lands, and through them have vindicated my holiness in the sight of many nations. 28 Then they shall know that I am the LORD their God, because I sent them into exile among the nations and then assembled them into their own land. I will leave none of them remaining among the nations anymore. 29 And I will not hide my face anymore from them, when I pour out my Spirit upon the house of Israel, declares the Lord GOD.”


Audio Overview


Praise & Worship


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Why Every Detail in the Bible Matters πŸ“œ | Joshua 15 Devotional (7-Step QT)

Numbers 23: God Is With Us—The Shout of a King | Quiet Time Devotional

πŸ‘‘ When Life Feels Unstable, Trust This Truth | Psalm 93 Devotional (7-Step QT)