2026-08-07 | ❤️ God Has Not Given Up on You | Ezekiel 36 Devotional (7-Step QT)
7-Step QT Notes
1. π Quiet Time
Pause.
Take a deep breath.
Ask God to help you see that your salvation and restoration do not depend on your worthiness or spiritual performance, but on his holy character and unchanging faithfulness.
2. π August 7, 2026
Today’s passage reminds us:
Our restoration does not rest on our merit. It rests on God’s holy name, faithful character, and gracious work.
3. ✝️ Ezekiel 36:32-38
God acts not for Israel’s sake but for his holy name, so they must be ashamed of their ways. When he cleanses their iniquities, he will rebuild the ruined cities and cultivate the desolate land until it resembles Eden. The nations will know that the LORD has spoken and acted. As Israel asks, God will fill the ruins with people like sacrificial flocks, and they will know that he is the LORD.
4. π Key Verse
It is not for your sake that I will act, declares the Lord GOD; let that be known to you. Be ashamed and confounded for your ways, O house of Israel (v. 32).
5. π Reflection
One of the expressions parents often use with their children, teachers with their students, and supervisors with their employees may be, “I am saying this not for my sake, but for yours.” Of course, such words are often sincere and intended as positive advice. Sometimes, however, even negative remarks or one-sided instructions begin with this expression. As a result, it can sound like a disclaimer suggesting that the speaker bears no responsibility. Perhaps this is why it has become one of the expressions that many in the younger generation dislike hearing most.
For those of us who believe the heart of the gospel, that God loved us so deeply that he sent his only Son into the world, allowed him to die on the cross after great suffering, and raised him again on the third day, the opening words of today’s passage may sound quite unfamiliar. God says, “It is not for your sake that I will act” (v. 32). If the promise of restoration proclaimed thus far is not for the sake of the Israelites, then for whose sake does God act, and what does this declaration mean?
God’s purpose is revealed in Ezekiel 36:22-23, which appeared in yesterday’s QT passage:
“Thus says the Lord GOD: It is not for your sake, O house of Israel, that I am about to act, but for the sake of my holy name, which you have profaned among the nations to which you came. And I will vindicate the holiness of my great name, which has been profaned among the nations, and which you have profaned among them. And the nations will know that I am the LORD, declares the Lord GOD, when through you I vindicate my holiness before their eyes (Ezekiel 36:22–23).
Beloved congregation, there is no reason to feel disappointed that God acts not for our sake but for the sake of his holy name. Nor is there any reason to criticize God for acting for the glory of his name. Rather, this truth brings us immeasurable grace and benefit. We are sinners who do not deserve salvation, but God is eternally holy and unchangingly faithful. Our salvation and restoration rest not on our worthiness or merit, but on God’s holy character and faithful name.
May God’s holy name be revealed today through your thoughts, words, and actions. May the world come to know who God is through your life. As we live this way, the world will come to know the LORD God.
6. π¬ What does this passage speak to you today?
- Am I basing my confidence on my spiritual performance or on God’s holy and faithful character?
- Is there a sin that I need to acknowledge rather than excuse, minimize, or hide?
- What ruined or empty area of my life do I need to entrust to God’s restoring grace?
- How can my words, choices, and relationships reveal God’s holiness and grace today?
- What is one specific action I can take this week to honor God’s name at home, school, work, church, or in my relationships?
7. π Prayer
Our heavenly Father, thank You for being holy, faithful, and gracious.
Forgive me for trusting my spiritual performance instead of resting in Your unchanging character.
Help me confess my sins honestly and receive Your restoring grace with humility.
Rebuild the ruined places in my life, and bring new life to the places that feel empty.
May my thoughts, words, choices, and relationships honor Your holy name.
Let others see Your holiness, grace, and faithfulness through my life.
Amen.
Scriptures
π (Ezekiel 36:32-38, ESV).
32 It is not for your sake that I will act, declares the Lord GOD; let that be known to you. Be ashamed and confounded for your ways, O house of Israel.
33 “Thus says the Lord GOD: On the day that I cleanse you from all your iniquities, I will cause the cities to be inhabited, and the waste places shall be rebuilt. 34 And the land that was desolate shall be tilled, instead of being the desolation that it was in the sight of all who passed by. 35 And they will say, ‘This land that was desolate has become like the garden of Eden, and the waste and desolate and ruined cities are now fortified and inhabited.’ 36 Then the nations that are left all around you shall know that I am the LORD; I have rebuilt the ruined places and replanted that which was desolate. I am the LORD; I have spoken, and I will do it.
37 “Thus says the Lord GOD: This also I will let the house of Israel ask me to do for them: to increase their people like a flock. 38 Like the flock for sacrifices, like the flock at Jerusalem during her appointed feasts, so shall the waste cities be filled with flocks of people. Then they will know that I am the LORD.”

Comments
Post a Comment