π€ You Hear God’s Word, But Are You Obeying It? | Ezekiel 33 Devotional (7-Step QT)
7-Step QT Notes
1. π Quiet Time
Pause.
Take a deep breath.
Ask God to show you whether you are merely hearing His Word or truly allowing it to transform the way you live.
2. π July 31, 2026
Today’s passage reminds us:
True meditation does not stop with hearing God’s Word. It leads us to know God, obey Him, and live with integrity.
3. ✝️ Ezekiel 33:21-33
After news arrived that Jerusalem had fallen, the LORD opened Ezekiel’s mouth. Those remaining in the land claimed Abraham as grounds for possessing it, yet their idolatry, bloodshed, and sexual sin would bring sword, beasts, and pestilence. The exiles gladly heard Ezekiel but pursued gain instead of obeying. When judgment came, they would know the LORD and that a prophet had been among them.
4. π Key Verse
“As for you, son of man, your people who talk together about you by the walls and at the doors of the houses say to one another, each to his brother, ‘Come, and hear what the word is that comes from the LORD.’ And they come to you as people come, and they sit before you as my people, and they hear what you say but they will not do it; for with lustful talk in their mouths they act; their heart is set on their gain.” (vv. 30-31)
5. π Reflection
When I decided to pursue pastoral ordination and was preparing for it in prayer, a senior pastor said something to me that I have never forgotten:
“There are many problems and difficulties within the church. One of the most challenging is a faith that looks different on the outside from what it truly is on the inside. When such hypocrisy is found not merely in an ordinary church member but in a pastor, it becomes a genuine disaster and calamity for the church. Always be careful not to become a whitewashed tomb.”
Since hearing those words, I have come to realize that the lies I casually told to escape an uncomfortable moment, the gossip I considered insignificant, and the words of complaint and condemnation I unconsciously uttered were no different from the behavior of hypocrites. For that reason, I strive to examine myself more strictly.
Now that I am in a position to teach that the QT I have practiced for more than forty years must no longer remain a mere formality, I seek to approach God’s Word with greater sincerity myself. I also feel the weight of my responsibility to guide believers so that they do not treat God’s Word merely as a spectacle or a pleasant song, as the people did in today’s passage. Nevertheless, I desire to obey God’s calling and fulfill this ministry with joy.
Dear brothers and sisters, the blessed person delights in the law of the LORD and meditates on it day and night (Psalm 1:2). Here, the verb “meditates” does not refer merely to becoming absorbed in thought, as we often assume. Rather, it means advancing through the Word toward knowing God and obeying His will.
I believe that when we meditate on God’s Word in this way and obey it, we can become sincere believers whose inner lives match their outward appearance. May we not stop at hearing the Word but put it into practice, so that together we may courageously overcome every problem and difficulty inside and outside the church.
6. π¬ What does this passage speak to you today?
- Have I been treating sermons, QT, or Christian content as something to enjoy rather than as God’s Word to obey?
- Is there a difference between the faith I show others and the way I live when no one is watching?
- Is God asking me to confess dishonesty, stop participating in gossip, release bitterness, or change a private habit?
- What is one specific act of obedience I can practice today?
7. π Prayer
Our heavenly Father, thank You for speaking to me through Your Word.
Forgive me for the times I have listened to Your Word without obeying it.
Help me not to treat Scripture as entertainment or religious content, but to receive it as Your living Word.
As I meditate on Your Word, lead me to know You more deeply and obey You more faithfully.
Form in me a sincere faith that honors You both in public and in private.
Amen.
Scriptures
π (Ezekiel 33:21-33, ESV).
21 In the twelfth year of our exile, in the tenth month, on the fifth day of the month, a fugitive from Jerusalem came to me and said, “The city has been struck down.” 22 Now the hand of the LORD had been upon me the evening before the fugitive came; and he had opened my mouth by the time the man came to me in the morning, so my mouth was opened, and I was no longer mute.
23 The word of the LORD came to me: 24 “Son of man, the inhabitants of these waste places in the land of Israel keep saying, ‘Abraham was only one man, yet he got possession of the land; but we are many; the land is surely given us to possess.’ 25 Therefore say to them, Thus says the Lord GOD: You eat flesh with the blood and lift up your eyes to your idols and shed blood; shall you then possess the land? 26 You rely on the sword, you commit abominations, and each of you defiles his neighbor’s wife; shall you then possess the land? 27 Say this to them, Thus says the Lord GOD: As I live, surely those who are in the waste places shall fall by the sword, and whoever is in the open field I will give to the beasts to be devoured, and those who are in strongholds and in caves shall die by pestilence. 28 And I will make the land a desolation and a waste, and her proud might shall come to an end, and the mountains of Israel shall be so desolate that none will pass through. 29 Then they will know that I am the LORD, when I have made the land a desolation and a waste because of all their abominations that they have committed.
30 “As for you, son of man, your people who talk together about you by the walls and at the doors of the houses say to one another, each to his brother, ‘Come, and hear what the word is that comes from the LORD.’ 31 And they come to you as people come, and they sit before you as my people, and they hear what you say but they will not do it; for with lustful talk in their mouths they act; their heart is set on their gain. 32 And behold, you are to them like one who sings lustful songs with a beautiful voice and plays well on an instrument, for they hear what you say, but they will not do it. 33 When this comes—and come it will!—then they will know that a prophet has been among them.”

Comments
Post a Comment