πŸ™ When You Want Revenge, Choose Prayer | Psalm 109 Devotional (7-Step QT)

7-Step QT Notes

1. πŸ™ Quiet Time

Pause.

Take a deep breath.

Ask God to help you bring your anger, pain, and desire for justice before Him instead of taking revenge into your own hands.

2. πŸ“… July 4, 2026

Today’s passage reminds us:

When we are attacked by lies and hatred, God calls us to entrust justice to Him and give ourselves to prayer.

3. ✝️ Psalm 109:1-16

The psalmist cries to God not to be silent as deceitful enemies attack him with lies and hatred, repaying his love with accusation. He prays that the wicked accuser be judged, lose his place, possessions, and legacy, because he showed no kindness but persecuted the poor, needy, and brokenhearted.

4. πŸ“– Key Verse

Be not silent, O God of my praise! … but I give myself to prayer. (v. 1, 4b)

5. πŸ“ Reflection

This is a somewhat embarrassing confession. The only time I remember ever getting into a fistfight was in middle school, when I fought with a classmate. It was not merely a verbal argument, but an actual one-on-one fight. Until middle school, I was quite small in both height and build, so I was often teased by my friends. That day, as the teasing continued, the anger I had been holding back rose up strongly within me.

In the past, whenever this happened, I would tell my teacher and try to resolve the problem that way. But the solution never lasted long. After a few days, the same harassment would begin again. I shouted several times, “Stop it!” but no one listened. Finally, on that day, I thought I could no longer simply endure it. So I clenched my fists and stood my ground.

What do you think happened? Regardless of whether I won or lost the fight, the teasing stopped completely after that day. In my young heart, I learned what felt like a cold truth about life: when you are mocked, you should not simply endure it; sometimes you must get angry and resist, even by using force.

Psalm 109, which we are meditating on today, is a psalm of David asking the LORD for help. David, the hero who defeated Goliath and won countless battles afterward, seems in this psalm to give up fighting back and instead devotes himself to prayer. He cries out to God for help. Yet this is not an ordinary prayer for help. It is a prayer of curse. David does not merely ask God to deliver him from pain and suffering. Rather, he pleads for God’s judgment to fall upon the wicked person who has brought pain and suffering upon him.

When we read this far, we may find ourselves puzzled. David, the great warrior, stops fighting directly and chooses a prayer of curse? Even more, does this not seem to contradict Jesus’ command to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us? (Matt. 5:43-44)

Beloved saints, Psalm 109 is known as the strongest imprecatory psalm among the 150 psalms. Yet it is clearly a psalm of David, marked with the inscription, “For the choirmaster.” Therefore, we must clearly understand whom David is cursing. David is not pouring out curses merely because of personal resentment. Rather, on the basis of God’s justice, he is asking for judgment upon the wicked who oppose God. In other words, he is pleading for God’s righteous judgment against the enemies of God who will face eternal destruction at the final judgment.

Therefore, we must hold two truths together. One is Jesus’ teaching that we are to love our enemies and pray for those who persecute us. The other is the biblical teaching that when Jesus returns, He will surely judge the wicked. And before this word, we must examine ourselves. Am I living in a way that is no different from the enemies of God who stand under judgment?

The wicked will surely perish. God will certainly bring this to pass. Therefore, may you come before Him today and cry out in prayer, “Lord, help me.” May the Lord bless you to become such people of prayer.

6. πŸ’¬ What does this passage speak to you today?

  • Where do I feel falsely accused, misunderstood, or attacked?
  • Am I bringing my anger honestly to God, or am I trying to handle it by myself?
  • Is there someone I need to pray for instead of secretly resenting?
  • How can I show kindness today to someone who is poor, needy, lonely, or brokenhearted?
  • What would it look like for me to say, “Lord, I give myself to prayer,” in my real life today?

7. πŸ™ Prayer

Our heavenly Father, thank You for seeing me when I am hurt, misunderstood, or attacked.

Help me not to take revenge into my own hands, but to bring my anger and pain honestly before You.

Teach me to trust Your perfect justice and to obey Jesus’ command to love and pray for my enemies.

Guard my heart from bitterness, and make me someone who shows mercy to the poor, needy, and brokenhearted.

Lord, do not be silent. Help me give myself to prayer.

Amen.


Scriptures

πŸ“– (Psalm 109:1-16, ESV).

1 Be not silent, O God of my praise!
2 For wicked and deceitful mouths are opened against me,
speaking against me with lying tongues.
3 They encircle me with words of hate,
and attack me without cause.
4 In return for my love they accuse me,
but I give myself to prayer.
5 So they reward me evil for good,
and hatred for my love.

6 Appoint a wicked man against him;
let an accuser stand at his right hand.
7 When he is tried, let him come forth guilty;
let his prayer be counted as sin!
8 May his days be few;
may another take his office!
9 May his children be fatherless
and his wife a widow!
10 May his children wander about and beg,
seeking food far from the ruins they inhabit!
11 May the creditor seize all that he has;
may strangers plunder the fruits of his toil!
12 Let there be none to extend kindness to him,
nor any to pity his fatherless children!
13 May his posterity be cut off;
may his name be blotted out in the second generation!
14 May the iniquity of his fathers be remembered before the LORD,
and let not the sin of his mother be blotted out!
15 Let them be before the LORD continually,
that he may cut off the memory of them from the earth!

16 For he did not remember to show kindness,
but pursued the poor and needy
and the brokenhearted, to put them to death.


Audio Overview


Praise & Worship


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Numbers 23: God Is With Us—The Shout of a King | Quiet Time Devotional

Why Every Detail in the Bible Matters πŸ“œ | Joshua 15 Devotional (7-Step QT)

Numbers 26: A New Generation and God’s Justice | Quiet Time Devotional