⚓ When Bad News Shakes You: Stay Firm in God | Psalm 112 Devotional (7-Step QT)
7-Step QT Notes
1. π Quiet Time
Pause.
Take a deep breath.
Ask God to help you trust Him with a firm heart, even when bad news, criticism, or painful words shake your soul.
2. π July 8, 2026
Today’s passage reminds us:
A heart that trusts in the LORD does not have to be ruled by fear, even when bad news comes.
3. ✝️ Psalm 112:1-10
Blessed is the one who fears the LORD and delights in His commandments. God blesses his family, establishes his righteousness, and gives light in darkness. He is gracious, generous, just, and fearless because he trusts the LORD. The righteous endure, but the desires of the wicked perish.
4. π Key Verse
He is not afraid of bad news; his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD (v. 7).
5. π Reflection
Recently, I heard some news about a person who has been speaking against me. Since I have already heard it several times through different people, and even heard parts of it directly, it does not seem to be a completely groundless rumor. At first, I thought I had enough courage to let it pass without taking it to heart. However, the repeated stories continued to shake my heart. At times, I felt resentment, thinking, “I wish they would just trust me a little.” At other times, I blamed myself, wondering, “Is this happening because I am lacking in some way?” As this situation has continued for a long time, I have begun to feel weary. Perhaps this is what bad news feels like.
Today, the psalmist of Psalm 112 gives us precious wisdom. This psalm speaks of the righteous person who fears the LORD and delights in His commandments. Such a person is upright, gracious, and righteous. He also freely gives to the poor, practicing God’s mercy and love through his life. He is not merely someone who is blessed. He is never shaken, does not fear bad news, and handles his affairs with discernment. The reason is that his heart is firmly fixed, trusting in the LORD.
Beloved saints, bad news can make our souls sick. It would be best not to hear such news at all, if possible. Yet even when we cannot avoid hearing it, we need a steadfast faith that is not easily shaken. A firm heart that trusts in God does not arise naturally on its own. It requires the daily discipline of fearing God, meditating on His Word, and joyfully obeying Him.
Therefore, as we meditate on Psalm 112 today, I invite you to walk the path of the righteous whose heart is firmly fixed on God. I sincerely pray that we will become people who do not fear bad news and who remain forever unshaken in every circumstance.
6. π¬ What does this passage speak to you today?
- What kind of “bad news” has been shaking my heart recently?
- Do I tend to respond to criticism or rumors with fear, anger, self-blame, or prayer?
- Where is my heart most often anchored: people’s opinions, online reactions, success, control, or the LORD?
- What would it look like today to have a heart that is “firm, trusting in the LORD”?
7. π Prayer
Our heavenly Father, thank You for being my firm foundation.
When bad news comes, when people misunderstand me, or when my soul feels shaken, help me not to be ruled by fear.
Make me a person of integrity, mercy, generosity, and courage.
May my heart remain firm in You, no matter what I hear or face today.
Amen.
Scriptures
π (Psalm 112:1-10, ESV).
1 Praise the LORD!
Blessed is the man who fears the LORD,
who greatly delights in his commandments!
2 His offspring will be mighty in the land;
the generation of the upright will be blessed.
3 Wealth and riches are in his house,
and his righteousness endures forever.
4 Light dawns in the darkness for the upright;
he is gracious, merciful, and righteous.
5 It is well with the man who deals generously and lends;
who conducts his affairs with justice.
6 For the righteous will never be moved;
he will be remembered forever.
7 He is not afraid of bad news;
his heart is firm, trusting in the LORD.
8 His heart is steady; he will not be afraid,
until he looks in triumph on his adversaries.
9 He has distributed freely; he has given to the poor;
his righteousness endures forever;
his horn is exalted in honor.
10 The wicked man sees it and is angry;
he gnashes his teeth and melts away;
the desire of the wicked will perish!

Comments
Post a Comment