♾️ Everything Changes But God’s Love Never Does | Psalm 117, 118 Devotional (7-Step QT)
7-Step QT Notes
1. 🙏 Quiet Time
Pause.
Take a deep breath.
Ask God to help you recognize His unchanging faithfulness and steadfast love in every season of your life.
2. 📅 July 14, 2026
Today’s passage reminds us:
Everything in this world changes, but the LORD’s faithfulness and steadfast love endure forever.
3. ✝️ Psalm 117:1–118:7
All nations and peoples are called to praise the LORD, whose steadfast love is great and whose faithfulness endures forever. Israel, Aaron’s house, and all who fear the LORD must give thanks and proclaim his enduring love. When the psalmist cried out in distress, the LORD answered and set him free. With the LORD on his side as helper, he fears no one and looks in triumph over his enemies.
4. 📖 Key Verse
Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good; for his steadfast love endures forever! (118:1)
5. 📝 Reflection
Nearly thirty years had passed since I left the hometown house where I had lived for almost twenty years. Then one day, during a long-awaited visit to my home country, I went with my children to see my parents-in-law, who were still living in my hometown village. After spending a joyful time together, we set out to return to our overseas mission field. Along the way, I happened to tell my children about the house where I had lived as a child. When they said they wanted to see it, we decided to visit my old home together.
The house held many memories, but I had never properly returned to it after leaving. I wondered whether it would still be standing in the same place. Following the navigation system, we entered the road near my childhood home. I did not expect very much, but when the familiar mountains, roads, and surrounding scenery came into view, I could not help feeling excited.
When I finally saw the house standing at the end of the road, I was both delighted and astonished. My father had suddenly lost his job, and our family’s financial difficulties had forced us to leave. Afterward, I had not felt any desire to return. Yet there it was, still standing in the same place and looking just as it had in the past.
I showed my children the places filled with memories and explained what each one meant to me. We took pictures together and then continued our journey. I have not visited the house again since that day, but I still imagine that if I returned someday, it would remain standing there just as before.
In today’s passage, Psalms 117 and 118:1–7, the Hebrew noun olam (עוֹלָם), translated as “forever,” appears five times. Psalm 117:2 declares that God’s emet—his faithfulness—endures forever. Psalm 118:1–4 then repeatedly proclaims that God’s hesed—his steadfast love—endures forever.
After experiencing the Passover in Egypt, the Israelites journeyed through the wilderness for approximately forty years before entering the land of Canaan. Their wilderness journey was a remarkable experience of grace that revealed not so much how obedient Israel was, but how unchanging God’s emet and hesed were. Although the Israelites sometimes disobeyed and complained against God, he remained faithful to his covenant and guided them with unwavering love.
Therefore, when God’s people sang this praise after the Passover meal, the “forever” they confessed meant more than time continuing without end. It was their treasured memory of the grace God had shown them in the past, as well as a confession of faith and a living testimony cherished by the psalmist and God’s people. It was a confession of hope that the God who had been faithful in the past was still at work in the present and would remain faithful forever.
Dear brothers and sisters, we live with many longings. We may cherish a hometown house that has remained in the same place for fifty years. We may hold deeply in our hearts memories shared with beloved family members, friends, or someone dear to us. At times, we may long for a particular moment that we consider the high point of our lives.
Yet one truth is certain: nothing in this world lasts forever. Even the most precious places and beautiful memories change with time and will one day disappear from our lives. Only the emet and hesed of the LORD endure forever. This is because God himself is eternal, and his character and covenant never change.
Therefore, rather than sorrowfully clinging only to what will pass away, look to the God who never changes. May you give thanks to the God who was faithful in the past, who loves us with unwavering love today, and who will continue to hold us forever.
6. 💬 What does this passage speak to you today?
- When have I experienced God’s faithfulness during a difficult or uncertain season?
- Am I interpreting God’s character through my circumstances, or my circumstances through God’s character?
- How can remembering God’s past faithfulness help me trust Him with my future?
- What is one specific reason I can thank the LORD today?
7. 🙏 Prayer
Our eternal Father, thank You that Your faithfulness and steadfast love endure forever.
Forgive me for looking for lasting security in temporary people, places, achievements, and seasons of life.
When I am distressed, help me cry out to You honestly and remember that You are with me as my helper.
Fill my heart with gratitude today, for You were faithful yesterday, You are with me today, and You will hold me forever.
Amen.
Scriptures
📖 (Psalm 117:1-118:7, ESV).
117 Praise the LORD, all nations!
Extol him, all peoples!
2 For great is his steadfast love toward us,
and the faithfulness of the LORD endures forever.
Praise the LORD!
118 Oh give thanks to the LORD, for he is good;
for his steadfast love endures forever!
2 Let Israel say,
“His steadfast love endures forever.”
3 Let the house of Aaron say,
“His steadfast love endures forever.”
4 Let those who fear the LORD say,
“His steadfast love endures forever.”
5 Out of my distress I called on the LORD;
the LORD answered me and set me free.
6 The LORD is on my side; I will not fear.
What can man do to me?
7 The LORD is on my side as my helper;
I shall look in triumph on those who hate me.

Comments
Post a Comment