🐳 When You Feel Stuck, God Still Saves | Jonah 2 Devotional (7-Step QT)

7-Step QT Notes

1. πŸ™ Quiet Time

Pause.

Take a deep breath.

Ask God to help you see that even when His ways are beyond your understanding, His saving power is always greater than your situation.

2. πŸ“… June 22, 2026

Today’s passage reminds us:

Salvation belongs to the LORD, and no depth is too deep for His saving grace.

3. ✝️ Jonah 1:17–2:10

The LORD appointed a great fish to swallow Jonah, and Jonah remained in its belly three days and nights. From there, Jonah prayed in distress, confessing that God heard his cry and rescued his life from the pit. He remembered the LORD, gave thanks, vowed obedience, and declared, “Salvation belongs to the LORD.” Then the LORD commanded the fish, and it vomited Jonah onto dry land.

4. πŸ“– Key Verse

Salvation belongs to the LORD! (v. 9b).

5. πŸ“ Reflection

I remember hearing the story of Jonah for the first time when I was a child in Sunday school. When Jonah was thrown into the stormy sea, the story that God appointed a great fish to swallow him sounded mysterious and amazing to me. And when I heard that Jonah spent three days and three nights in the belly of the fish, repenting and offering songs of thanksgiving to God, I nodded along with my Sunday school teacher and prayed earnestly that I, too, would repent and give thanks like Jonah.

Many years later, after I became an adult, I watched a nature documentary. The documentary examined whether certain biblical stories could be scientifically verified, and one of the stories it discussed was Jonah’s story. The host interviewed several scientific experts and carefully tested whether Jonah’s story could really be true. Was there a fish large enough to swallow a man in the Mediterranean region around the eighth century BC? Could Jonah have had enough oxygen to breathe for three days inside that fish? If there was any organ large enough for a person to remain in, it would likely have been the fish’s stomach; but could Jonah have been safe there from the digestive process? As the questions, answers, and reference materials continued, it seemed as though everyone was agreeing that Jonah’s story must be fiction.

Dear beloved saints, even if we used every available tool of modern science, it would seem almost impossible to prove that Jonah’s story is true. For this reason, some theologians understand the book of Jonah not as a historical event, but as a literary story, such as a parable or a fable. However, just because we cannot fully understand an event does not mean that the event is fictional. Moreover, if God sent His only Son into this world and gave Him to die on the cross for our salvation, it is certainly not difficult for Him to preserve Jonah for three days and three nights in the belly of a great fish.

Therefore, today we must receive Jonah’s confession as the Word of God and remember the truth that salvation belongs to the LORD. Let us give thanks to the God of salvation, who brings His people up even from the depths of death.

6. πŸ’¬ What does this passage speak to you today?

  • Do I believe God can hear my prayer even from the deepest place?
  • What would it look like today to stop running and remember the LORD?
  • How can I give thanks to God before my situation fully changes?

7. πŸ™ Prayer

Our heavenly Father, thank You for being the God of salvation.

When I am overwhelmed, help me remember that no depth is beyond Your reach.

Teach me to stop running from You and to call upon You in faith.

Help me trust Your saving power even when I cannot fully understand Your ways.

May my heart confess with Jonah, “Salvation belongs to the LORD.”

Amen.


Scriptures

πŸ“– (Jonah 1:17-2:10, ESV).

17  And the LORD appointed a great fish to swallow up Jonah. And Jonah was in the belly of the fish three days and three nights.

1 Then Jonah prayed to the LORD his God from the belly of the fish, 2 saying,
“I called out to the LORD, out of my distress,
and he answered me;
out of the belly of Sheol I cried,
and you heard my voice.
3 For you cast me into the deep,
into the heart of the seas,
and the flood surrounded me;
all your breakers and your waves
passed over me.
4 Then I said, ‘I am driven away
from your sight;
yet I shall again look
upon your holy temple.’
5 The waters closed in over me to take my life;
the deep surrounded me;
weeds were wrapped about my head.
6  To the roots of the mountains I went down,
to the land whose bars closed upon me forever.
Yet you brought up my life from the pit,
O LORD my God.
7 When my life was fainting away,
I remembered the LORD,
and my prayer came to you,
into your holy temple.
8 Those who pay regard to vain idols
forsake their hope of steadfast love.
9 But I with the voice of thanksgiving
will sacrifice to you;
what I have vowed I will pay.
Salvation belongs to the LORD!”

10 And the LORD spoke to the fish, and it vomited Jonah out upon the dry land.


Audio Overview


Praise & Worship


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Numbers 23: God Is With Us—The Shout of a King | Quiet Time Devotional

Why Every Detail in the Bible Matters πŸ“œ | Joshua 15 Devotional (7-Step QT)

Numbers 26: A New Generation and God’s Justice | Quiet Time Devotional