πŸ™ Does God Really Hear My Prayers? | Psalm 116 Devotional (7-Step QT)


 

7-Step QT Notes

1. πŸ™ Quiet Time

Pause.

Take a deep breath.

Ask God to help you hear His voice, trust His gracious presence, and find rest in Him.

2. πŸ“… July 13, 2026

Today’s passage reminds us:

True rest comes from knowing that God hears our cries and faithfully cares for us.

3. ✝️ Psalm 116:1-19

Caught in death’s snares and Sheol’s anguish, the psalmist calls on the LORD for deliverance. The gracious, righteous, and merciful God hears him, saves him from death, tears, and stumbling, and restores him to rest. In response to the LORD’s benefits, he lifts the cup of salvation, calls on God’s name, fulfills his vows before the people, offers thanksgiving, and praises the LORD in Jerusalem.

4. πŸ“– Key Verse

Because he inclined his ear to me, therefore I will call on him as long as I live (v. 2).

5. πŸ“ Reflection

This happened not long after my wife and I had our first child. At the time, my workplace was quite far from our hometown. Therefore, after giving birth, my wife stayed at her family home to recover while we lived apart.

Some time later, when my wife and the baby were strong enough to endure the long journey, I returned to our hometown and brought them back to the remote village where I worked. A tiny baby began living in the small house that my wife and I had once shared alone. Wondering how such a little child could resemble us so much, the three of us began eating, sleeping, and attending church together. Yet the peaceful life I had imagined soon became a significant challenge for me as a father.

One day, my wife went out briefly to take care of something, leaving me alone with the baby. The baby had been sleeping peacefully, but somehow seeming to realize that his mother was gone, he suddenly began to cry loudly. Trying to discover what was wrong, I offered him a bottle and checked his diaper. Nevertheless, he would not stop crying.

Beads of cold sweat gradually formed on my forehead. Desperate to calm him, I shook a toy in front of his face and sang him a lullaby. Still, he showed no sign of quieting down. Soon, cold sweat was running down my back.

Just as I stood there bewildered and unsure of what to do, my wife opened the door and came inside. When she called the crying baby by name, he immediately stopped. Then, as if he had never been crying, he looked at her and smiled brightly.

Much later, I learned through a scientific study that babies can recognize their mothers’ voices and that a mother’s voice can serve as a signal of safety. To a young infant, the mother’s voice communicates that the child is not alone. It also signals the presence of a caregiver who can relieve discomfort and provide protection. In other words, a baby can hear the mother’s voice and feel safe.

Dear brothers and sisters, the psalmist in Psalm 116 did not find rest merely because all his suffering and sorrow had disappeared. Rather, like a baby whose cry is heard and answered by his mother, the psalmist found rest because God was present and attentive to his cry.

Just as a mother shows love to her baby, God hears the psalmist’s voice and prayer, delivers him, and pours out His grace upon him. Therefore, the psalmist confesses:
“Return, O my soul, to your rest; for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you” (Psalm 116:7).

Today, call upon God alone, just as a baby calls for his mother. May you find true rest in the presence of God, who listens to your prayers and answers your cries.

6. πŸ’¬ What does this passage speak to you today?

  • Do I truly believe that God hears me even when my circumstances do not immediately change?
  • When have I experienced God’s gracious care in response to prayer?
  • What truth about God do I need to speak to my anxious soul today?
  • How can I respond with gratitude for the grace God has already shown me?

7. πŸ™ Prayer

Our heavenly Father, thank You for inclining Your ear toward me.

When I feel overwhelmed, afraid, or alone, help me remember that You hear my cry.

Teach my soul to rest in Your gracious presence, even when my circumstances do not immediately change.

Help me trust Your faithful care and call on Your name throughout my life.

May I respond to Your grace with gratitude, obedience, and praise.

Amen.


Scriptures

πŸ“– (Psalm 116:1-19, ESV).

1 I love the LORD, because he has heard
my voice and my pleas for mercy.
2  Because he inclined his ear to me,
therefore I will call on him as long as I live.
3  The snares of death encompassed me;
the pangs of Sheol laid hold on me;
I suffered distress and anguish.
4  Then I called on the name of the LORD:
“O LORD, I pray, deliver my soul!”
5  Gracious is the LORD, and righteous;
our God is merciful.
6  The LORD preserves the simple;
when I was brought low, he saved me.
7  Return, O my soul, to your rest;
for the LORD has dealt bountifully with you.
8  For you have delivered my soul from death,
my eyes from tears,
my feet from stumbling;
9  I will walk before the LORD
in the land of the living.
10  I believed, even when I spoke:
“I am greatly afflicted”;
11  I said in my alarm,
“All mankind are liars.”
12  What shall I render to the LORD
for all his benefits to me?
13  I will lift up the cup of salvation
and call on the name of the LORD,
14  I will pay my vows to the LORD
in the presence of all his people.
15  Precious in the sight of the LORD
is the death of his saints.
16  O LORD, I am your servant;
I am your servant, the son of your maidservant.
You have loosed my bonds.
17  I will offer to you the sacrifice of thanksgiving
and call on the name of the LORD.
18  I will pay my vows to the LORD
in the presence of all his people,
19  in the courts of the house of the LORD,
in your midst, O Jerusalem.
Praise the LORD!


Audio Overview


Praise & Worship


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Numbers 23: God Is With Us—The Shout of a King | Quiet Time Devotional

Why Every Detail in the Bible Matters πŸ“œ | Joshua 15 Devotional (7-Step QT)

Numbers 26: A New Generation and God’s Justice | Quiet Time Devotional